About my Blog

“If you are careful,' Garp wrote, 'if you use good ingredients, and you don't take any shortcuts, then you can usually cook something very good. Sometimes it is the only worthwhile product you can salvage from a day; what you make to eat. With writing, I find, you can have all the right ingredients, give plenty of time and care, and still get nothing. Also true of love. Cooking, therefore, can keep a person who tries hard sane.” ― John Irving, The World According to Garp

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Hawaiian Chicken Version 2.0

After David returned from Japan, I told him about the Hawaiian Chicken I made while he was gone. He thought it sounded amazing so he decided to invite another friend over and make it one day. We changed the recipe just slightly. We again used the crock pot and this time had 6 pieces of frozen chicken breast. We used regular BBQ sauce this time- I believe it was Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy BBQ. We then used a can of Pinepple Chunks, juice and all. Cook on high for about 6 hours. I'm sure you could use Low for 10-12 hours, if you want to cook it while you are at work. We decided we wanted more pineapple so ended up adding another can of Pineapple Chunks, juice and all, about an hour before it was done. If you're making about 3 pieces of chicken, I think one can would be enough, but for 6 pieces, I definitely recommend 2 cans. Then again, I love pineapple, so the more the merrier for me.

We served it with some Long Grain Wild Rice from a box and a bag of frozen vegetables. It was a great meal! David and our friend Nate both thought it was phenomenal. We also gave some leftovers to another friend who said it was delicious as well.

While my first version was quite good, this is more of what I had in mind, simply because it had much more BBQ flavor than the Hawaiian BBQ sauce from Target did. Feel free to try one or both of these recipes! I think you will enjoy either one of them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment